Re: [Xen-users] grub2 problem while booting with xen-4.0.1

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] grub2 problem while booting with xen-4.0.1
From: Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 11:25:16 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 21:57:03 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=u/RyWwlAYP/xHtfL49StLEDShUGIU0BVcjl+TZD7Huc=; b=tXBXw1kxjkTmYKazJ3cM2KhosZAQe1wL8U7pPe7lz2UqYhvjt0v8+xVdiCLJHDDthB JYgrrTExJtw09NW2k9DelEjWyhk9JUFH6EFvl/lhYYI1bs4vjV39hfUFqHGEPLb9fIt9 lb7z0o+6bT+V5BSoEfbEa0+uioxwkBKMNrc9g=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:19 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha <list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sorry I mistyped the question.
>> The first type of grub entries which include hypervisor note the line
>> /xen.gz do not boot.
>> But in case of second grub entry where I booted without xen only
>> pv-ops dom0 kernel works.
>> So I infer that kernel was compiled cleanly and there is no problem if
>> I am trying to boot the pv-ops Dom0 kernel without hypervisor.
>>
>> The first one does not work where I am trying to boot xen.gz with
>> pv-ops Dom0 kernel.
>>
>> I am not clear do you mean to say my first  grub entry (where I am
>> trying to load the xen)
>>
>> should look like
>> module   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.27-pv-ops  root=/dev/hda1 ro console=tty0
>> or
>> module  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.27-pv-ops  root=UUID=#@Q##@$ ro console=tty0
>>

> Two things.
>
> First, even vanilla kernel.org supports pv_ops (enough to be booted as
> domU). But you can't use it for a fully functional dom0 kernel. So to
> be able to boot it under hypervisor, you need to have proper dom0
> patches (I assume you use JF's git tree), and you need to enable
> dom0-related kernel options.
Correct I used JF's git tree.
I enabled all the Xen options.
.config attached with this mail.

> Second, you need proper kernel parameters to boot.
Exactly I am not clear with this part.

>If your normal
> kernel needs "root=UUID*" to boot, then the same is true when you boot
> it under the hypervisor.
Ok.
> In any case, what's wrong (whether you don't have dom0-related options
> enabled, or you have incorrent "root" parameters), it should be
> obvious from kernel boot message (as long as you do NOT have "rhgb"
> and "quiet"). Simply saying "suddenly a black screen comes and every
> thing restarts" doesn't help.
>
> So start with modifying your kernel parameter, then if it still
> doesn't work you need to capture (or remember) what the last boot
> message before reboot was. Otherwise there's not much others can do to
> help.
Ok.I will update.
--
Regards