Re: [Xen-users] Re: graphically accessing pv guest

To: Ted Brenner <griztown@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: graphically accessing pv guest
From: Melody Bliss <melodybliss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 21:39:39 -0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 21:40:29 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=y7IhYcE83YEfrrm7zdEvm1cGGfz5HPMlgmJYpVOc9cw=; b=c43LPpJ8PJfC0PP2/nW/gfYLrionPL6XQHt/vwoeu3vfFlo+w7gOoh01xdGeq+8Xry Ig8kWVuZKbEYIxSnKtQHiSiZ86IO/GYIf1Z24MMLkbrAOf2A9QZehsJQ5zBYeQNUHL3m WMs5oF90KAdt/oOhk9K2THrgetAfHxyPS9YbM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
in the shell you're executing "xm vncviewer domainID", you can type

echo $DISPLAY

is it set to anything?

if it looks something like this

bash-3.2$ echo $DISPLAY
:0.0

then your X Windows display is set to localhost. If this is a remote
machine (not your local machine), then this won't work for you. You
need to export the display back to your local machine.

So, starting from my local desktop, connect to the remote (xen dom0)
using "ssh -Y" (for trusted X11 forwarding).

For example, if your remote (dom0) system is called xenhost, use

ssh -Y root@xenhost

This will enable (hopefully if it's allowed) X11 forwarding back to
your desktop over an encrypted ssh session and allow you to do your
"xm vncviewer domID" successfully.

Mel