Re: [Xen-users] how to compile a dom0 kernel

To: Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to compile a dom0 kernel
From: Abhishek Dixit <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 08:54:50 +0530
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 01 Mar 2011 19:26:04 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=u6KawFcETcn17iQ27GgzlTDmeAIGPgK7TvFASYtaxfU=; b=wabFT252xqMthpcE10LIXUVux3w9oQX+iyFsy9BQY27LCtzWXwyxlPMOtbPqmSjmYT oKg/7zzcQwilm84+FrxXUPY/CsXaS895Pk/LtsMLEVol6e+f8XawwSdlwG0EqvrY9aAC RPuAg8axiqA8iyhRB2AYSDsnFefBzCuK0BiEI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:32 AM, Mike Viau <viaum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 18:13:36 +0530 <abhidixit87@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I was wondering on internet if there is any guide that mentions how to
>> compile a Dom0 kernel for a Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit system.
>> What I came across after a lot of Googling were some Debian guides
>> here and there and most of the guides on Xen's wiki are to make
>> a pv-ops Dom0 kernel.No where I see how can you compile your own Dom0
>> for a distribution such as Ubuntu .
>> Can any one clarify my doubt?
>>

> I might be mistaken, but if you take you pv-ops sources, you should be able
> to build a Debian based dom0 based kernel
You mean to say a kernel that was for pv-ops sources would run like a
normal Dom0 kernel (no pv-ops)
what is the difference between a Dom0 kernel which runs on Xen and
pv-ops Dom0 kernel.
Both run on Xen.If I am not mistaken then pv-ops Dom0 kernel is built
using jeremy's tree and is itself a para virtualized Dom0 kernel.
Where as in case of non pv-ops Dom0 kernel they are not para
virtualized i.e. normal Dom0 kernel which runs on Xen is
HVM.Correct me if I am wrong.

>after installing the kernel-package ... for 10.04 this would be
>http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/kernel-package
>
> And then
> fakeroot /usr/bin/make-kpkg --initrd --append-to-version=-xen kernel_image
> kernel_headers

> By the way there has been some discussions on this.... maybe not a great
> example (but one that comes up at the top of a quick search) would be:
>
> I like the guide provided at: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1489187
> To help guide one through what is needed to compile a kernel with the
> possibly of added patches on vanilla kernel sources.
Well thanks for the guide.What this link mentions is if I understand
correctly is to compile a kernel the Debian way.
What my understanding upto now about Xen is If I just install
Xen-4.0.1 on my system then (and I do not compile a Kernel with Xen
options for Dom0) then Xen won't work.So what I am curious to know is
how can I or how should I go to compile a kernel so that when I
install Xen
I can use Dom0 also.

Or do I not need to go through this painful process and simply
installing Xen and making changes in Grub (no new Dom0 kernel)
to use xen.gz with the kernel which was installed from the Ubuntu CD
is sufficient.