[Xen-users] Problem with pci passthrough for a perc 5/i raid controller

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem with pci passthrough for a perc 5/i raid controller
From: jquinet@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 22:22:19 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 13:23:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

       I'm trying to do a pci passthrough for a perc 5/i raid controller and i
have 2 problems (i haven't used linux systems recently so i may be a bit rusty)
:

On the hardware part i'm using an ASUS M4A89TD PRO motherboard with iommu
enabled in bios (and i can see with "xm dmesg" that I/O Virtualization seems
enabled by xen).

On the software part i have :
- fedora 14
- xen 4.0.1-7
- 2.6.32.27 pvops Xen dom0 kernel i have compiled from the current xen git
2.6.32 stable branch. Using a config file from
http://pasik.reaktio.net/xen/pv_ops-dom0-debug/config-2.6.32.25-pvops-dom0-xen-stable-x86_64.
- libvirt 0.8.3-2 and virt-manager 0.8.5-1. But for now i'm trying to create VM
conf file by myself.

The first problem is about hiding the pci device to Dom0 using binding at
boot-time through the pciback module.

i have this in the grub.conf file :

        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=1024M loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.32.27 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_vserver-LVserv
nomodeset xen-pciback.permissive xen-pciback.hide=(03:0e.0)

first i have seen that the xen-pciback module was not loaded so i have changed
it, but still nothing : my xen-pciback.hide value in grub config file doesn't
seem to do anything (i have also tried 0000:03:0e.0 as pci function but still
nothing).

i can do the binding at runtime using this commands :

echo "0000:03:0e.0" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/megaraid_sas/unbind
echo "0000:03:0e.0" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
echo "0000:03:0e.0" >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

and it works, i can check that the device is available to pass-through with "xm
pci-list-assignable-devices" (i also see "pciback seizing device message" in
log), and i can start my vm.

But i would like to do it at boot-time, does anyone have an idea to what i can
check (or enable some debug for the xen-pciback module) ?

The 2nd problem is occuring after i have done the binding at runtime and
started the vm :

i can see during the boot that the perc 5/i is detected and his firmware/bios
is called : i have the message saying it's initializing, i can hear the disk
attached to it restarting, the raid bios initializing number goes from 0% to
100% but then the VM init hang, it doesn't display the list of disk and the VM
doesn't boot on the cdrom (without the pci device passthrough it boots
perfectly).

Any idea of what the problem could be ? some debug i can enable ? a specific
log file in which i can check ?

Thank you in advance !

PS: sorry if my english is not perfect, i'm more used to read it than write :)