Re: [Xen-users] Re: XCP networking

To: rvegas <robertvegas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: XCP networking
From: Christian Fischer <christian.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 08:54:11 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 23:55:53 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 22 February 2011 06:21:36 rvegas wrote:
> Thank you for your response. My server only has 2 nics. So i need to add
> more interfaces to this server, in order to setup vlans?

There's no native support handling the XenServer management interface on a
VLAN network inside XenServer/XCP. But OpenVSwitch is able to handle that.

The management interface xenbrFOO is from openvswitchs point of view a simple
switchport FOO, member of the vswitch/bridge FOO. We run our own vswitch
initialization.

What you have to do is tagging the xenbrFOO with the appropriate vlan tag.
We do that by calling configure_ovs() which is sourced from file
/etc/init.d/ovscfg inside /etc/init.d/management-interface.

/etc/init.d/ovscfg:

#!/bin/bash
# ovs additional configuration

OVS_CMD='/usr/bin/ovs-vsctl'
MANAGEMENT_VLAN=<your management vlan id>

configure_ovs() {
    # place all the additional vswitch configuration stuff here

    ${OVS_CMD} --timeout=20 -- \
    set port xenbrFOO tag=${MANAGEMENT_VLAN}
}

/etc/init.d/management-interface:

#!/bin/bash
#
# Bring up XenServer management interface
#
# chkconfig: 2345 13 76

. /etc/init.d/functions
. /etc/init.d/ovscfg
[snip]
start() {
    bring_up_mgmt_if
    bring_up_current_ifs
    configure_ovs
}
[snip]

But I think it's not a management vlan question if vlan 14 isn't forwarded,
but vlan 12 is.

Hope that helps.
Christian