Re: [Xen-users] HVM domU doesnt start

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Alberto Asuero Arroyo
<albertoasuero@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Is the message on dom0?
> Yes
>

>>the bad sector is still there, but your new installation simply does
> not use it yet (you'll get an error later when you eventually use that
> sector)
>
> I know but after the errors I've done a new partition (mfks.ext3 /dev/sdd1)
> without errors in my kernel and  I've created a image of 99% of the disk
> with dd without errors too. And an fsck.ext4 /dev/sdd1

Then it's most likely you encountered #1, and the disk assigns a new
sector when you attempt to write to the bad sector.

> I've a dell server and the dell panel dont tell nothing about wrong disk...

logs don't lie :)
Does the panel handle bad sector cases as well, or does it simply test
whether the disk is accessible?
And if this is a server, you should definitely use RAID1/RAID5.

If the disk is passed to the OS directly (i.e. not managed via
hardware RAID) then you should be able to see disk logs (whether or
not is has experienced bad sector, and which one) using smartctl from
smartmontools package.

> after that I've already told, do you think the disk has bad sector?

Definitely.

> My data is much more valuable of the cost of the disk so I'm going to
> replace the disk...but I'm curious because I though  mkfs or fsck find bad
> sector on a disk.

you should've test "fcsk -c" before attempting mkfs or dd. It'd do a
read-test, which should catch the bad sector before it gets a new
sector reassigned (after writes from mkfs/dd).

--
Fajar