Re: [Xen-users] who comes from kvm?

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] who comes from kvm?
From: Mauro <mrsanna1@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 08:09:41 +0000
Delivery-date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 00:10:55 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=o9FqCclNaiIDbtlS+s2VuT9UMHqGvFlzH5Vx8W391Qs=; b=HJSIOHC5k3/bU8qcH2GzkfcGvN15UFl9MEir9/r43Nmbb2gqvl6DyBVYBOa4Q6mv0J MTTv7kQ/Sz+xyB2jZZhP4VODtR6OvBV+bOD9hBlt8eQJm3XjMaEn+MCg+P1uHGa3NfeG IHoH0y6XCuvUknlfrkxzoVHSkQ5cYCFHgzRTY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 10 February 2011 22:42, Steven Timm <timm@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Mauro wrote:
>
>> There is someone that switched from kvm to xen?
>> If yes what are the motivations?

> I run a lot of both.
> In my production servers I have a multi-master mysql database
> of fairly small size (a few MB) that runs on Xen and
> has run fine for years.
>
> I tried to clone this setup in the cloud on KVM.  The same
> load from the web frontent, KVM load spikes to 67 and DB freezes
> up.  Xen in the cloud runs at load of 5 or 6, quite acceptable.
>
> KVM as shipped with RHEL6 is supposed to be better but I haven't tried
> it yet.  But where KVM seems to fall down the most is on complex
> heavy disk I/O tasks.  If it is just block read and writes
> things are fine.  KVM is also not very good as a Lustre server.
> (but it is impossible to run Lustre servers on Xen at all due
> to incompatible kernel patching.)

I've used xen for years and I like it, but the fact that it's not
included in linux kernel makes me doubt whether it can be supported
for a long time.
Here is a similar discussion on kvm list:

http://www.spinics.net/lists/kvm/msg50060.html