RE: [Xen-users] Wireless device in Xen Guest

To: "Jui-Ting (Jerry) Weng" <jtweng@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Wireless device in Xen Guest
From: "James Harper" <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:33:43 +1100
Delivery-date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 17:34:57 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hello all:
>
> I'm running Xen with Gentoo. I setup two network device in Xen guest
Gentoo.
> One of them connect to the Dom0 ethernet card via bridge, and the
other
> connect to Dom0 wireless card via another bridge. The interface in
DomU
> connected to the outside ethernet device have throughput close to
Dom0.
> (927Mbps / 917Mbps) However, the wireless interface have very poor
bandwidth
> (2.2Mbps / 90 Kbps). Is there a reason why wireless transmission is
extremely
> inefficient ?

How does it compare to the throughput when you are not running xen?

Wireless is a half duplex medium, and if you are talking to another
wireless device 'through' an access point it gets even worse as your
packet has to be received by the AP, then transmitted to the target,
then the response goes back the same way, so it's not nearly as fast as
the sticker on the box says.

Are you doing all the right things with the wireless interface? You
normally need to NAT the MAC addresses for it to work.

James