Re: [Xen-users] Xen domU cannot boot via PV-GRUB

To: GNUbie <gnubie@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen domU cannot boot via PV-GRUB
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:22:45 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 04:24:01 -0800
References: <AANLkTinCYYnfeux+uQUX-51mN4di4vMfD5ibdBE-LBm+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTikx1vs8gbX-TGARiWQeYgh7A57OWK3BRX-de978@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTi=kG2Ms2dBV1RCggLGAMWE-dR0uihpzYnRCukxa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTikACkH3q6Zt-RcSp2iW2tqRUaYxSeV49J7pcBQb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTi=R3kGV9y=h=76XjSXsSSiroLP-m5+7VUd23WaC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTikn8f8kAPXnuzBSoqnonYReBcURt2iQHONM0=ew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTim977na2TdOE140QPFfYPzYu2P5Rqu5921Ywf+z@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTimrzCXyyYYHYVLT3q9u_9xEpJc1N3ozUwPuxuG-@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTimZ2Qn_AnzwyuEQLCUJj35bnsb-V9LALZ1Dq25x@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTi=WhdqBr4=f1Smkzi3XGU9NvMPjz7ukoURodqpR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <AANLkTinqX743-OAnT5b6ELrYgLKWkUhS-qVPVHsG1k_c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM, GNUbie <gnubie@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Just a side note, I created a new domU from scratch using their stock
> image just to compare on what they have in a default settings. Below
> are the logs.

> [    0.119444] XENBUS: Device with no driver: device/vbd/2049

2049 is xvda1

> # cat /proc/partitions
> major minor  #blocks  name
>
>  202        1    8388608 xvda1
>  202       16  356485632 xvdb
>  202        3     917504 xvda3

if you have access to domU disk settings, you'll see that one image is
mapped to xvda1 instead of xvda, and another image is mapped as xvda3.
In this case, "/boot" is in the same filesystem as "/", which resides
on an image file formatted directly without partition, and mapped as
xvda1. That's fine. Not a "redhat-blessed" configuration, but it
works, IF you know what you're doing.

On your previous boot log, you didn't even know what you're mapping,
and to where (e.g there was an image mapped directly as xvda2, but the
image you created is partitioned).

Looking at your reference setup, it seems the easiest way for you
proceed is to simply create a filesystem directly on the image file,
without creating partition, and map it as xvda1. You can then proceed
like your current reference setup.

Another way is to keep using the disk image you created, but you need
to modify some things. First of all modify the mapping to use xvda
instead of xvda1. Then you also need to modify domU's config, since
pv-grub needs "extra" line to tell where menu.lst is, and the extra
line for disk mapped as xvda1 is different from where the disk mapped
as xvda. Since you mentioned you don't have access to domU config
file, I doubt you can make this change.

--
Fajar