Re: [Xen-users] Xen Netloop module missing

To: Virajith Jalaparti <virajith.j@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Netloop module missing
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <list@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2011 10:21:44 +0700
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 19:23:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM, Virajith Jalaparti
<virajith.j@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The kernel config I am using does have the line
> "CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_LOOPBACK=y". I am not sure I understand what you meant by
> "prove it is compiled in and not a module".

It means if you need xen netloop support, you need to have it compiled
either as module (CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_LOOPBACK=y) or builtin
(CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_LOOPBACK=y). If it's neither, then you can't use
it. You need to recompile the kernel.

Also, which Xen version are you using? Are you using the default
network-bridge or create your own bridges?
netloop is primarily needed for older versions of Xen where the
default bridged setup is :
- create virtual network device pairs for each dom0 interface (vif0.x
and vethx) using netloop module
- rename dom0 interfaces (eth0 -> peth0, veth0 -> eth0)
- create a bridge (xenbr0) with peth0 and vif0.0 as its members.

Newer bridge setup use "eth0" as bridge name, and doesn't need netloop anymore.

It has nothing to do whatsoever with VM migration.

In short, if in your current setup your domU is able to access outside
network, most likely you don't need netloop support.

--
Fajar