Re: [Xen-users] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?

To: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] IPV4 is nearly depleted, are you ready for IPV6?
From: Melody Bliss <melodybliss@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 21:13:25 -0800
Cc: rudi@xxxxxxxxxxx, Nathan Eisenberg <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 21:14:50 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=1l9c0LGAf1swn4NRAV2qFFGEecbTLU7RuC+4W67KniE=; b=fgAnDewBQqILTk6A9H1nADu8VDRuGeukCN9c4u3te0WRaDkQPciYlHNzxtaNklPo63 DqZRji8XUKG2ZQLMXstPNW6kJnJ/wgYQm7Egouec9zSXQREyAesHUU/oh3g5x+FGRNIo FvzPBJGkl7IKOb7SRzz3o7Y0M2DvxA9qKRWM4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I don't now about other flavors of Xen, but the one that comes
natively with CentOS 5.4 does not have IPv6 functionality because
vif-route doesn't support it.

That said, I've successfully been able to use BenV's vif-route patch
to enable IPv6

http://notes.benv.junerules.com/all/software/xen-and-routed-ipv6/

Since I distribute IPv6 via DHCP, I've been able to successfully get
IPv6 running in my DomUs (CentOS also) by just using that patch. I did
not need to specify the IPv6 address.

Mel

On Sun, Dec 5, 2010 at 3:16 PM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > I've been hearing this for about 10 years and during that 10 years
>> > have never had a single issue getting ipv4 addresses. While I agree
>> > that it will run out at some point and that ipv6 probably has
>> > advantages over ipv4 I think there is just the appearance of a
>> > shortage due to the allocation of large blocks of ips very early on
>> > which are very under utilized. I don't think its really anything to
>> > worry about especially with ipv6inipv4 working just fine.
>> >
>> > you see this story posted on various "tech" sites every year for a
> long
>> > time
>>
>> This is a fallacy.  The fact that the depletion rate has been common
> knowledge
>> for quite some time doesn't mean, as you would have us believe, that
> there is
>> no issue.
>>
>> IANA depletion day is in 2 months and 5 days.  The first RIR depletion
> is 335
>> days out.  Provider depletions will happen very quickly afterwards.
> You seem
>> to be under the impression that people have been crying wolf.  You're
> wrong.
>> The wolf is at a known distance, and travels at a known (and
> increasing) rate
>> of speed.  Just because you can't see the wolf doesn't mean everyone
> has been
>> wrong this whole time.
>>
>> And no, there aren't 'large blocks of IPs which are very
> underutilized'.
>> There are /8's that can't be broken up for practical reasons, but
> we're
>> burning through those in 30-40 days now, so it doesn't matter if they
> were
>> returned to the pool.
>>
>> This is a very real problem.  Please stop spreading FUD.
>>

> To bring this somewhat on topic, are there any known issues with Xen
> under IPv6? Do all the scripts and other management stuff support it
> correctly or is there still work to be done?
>
> The Xen hypervisor itself doesn't have a network stack obviously, but
> some of the setup and management tools use it.
>
> James

Melody Bliss
Usenix, SAGE and LOPSA Charter Member
Patron Member of the NRA