Re: [Xen-users] dom0 large and in charge or petite?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] dom0 large and in charge or petite?
From: Henry Pepper <henrypepr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:29:44 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:31:17 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=jzms4S+5DS2RhBot6uzueDP/P7eCa6bGP/P3on7qoFY=; b=ASflV3mZts6bV1bvWzezaV2lt2JWJdNVFuIhtT4ZhGiz9gUtSug80bzS+Zczb/qO9X SDq0o5cTgKf7tk19CGznpnyw58CQV3LWfh3PkpdSzz8bYTvbxbD7rvETuCPzzLcQpYZm iEuKMzYcEFuzPL+sHEMhDm4UVtQ4slr42m/HA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Xen scheduler is handling VCPU scheduling.
 As I understand it, the scheduler will by default switch VCPUS every 30ms.
 This includes Dom0.
 So if you have more VCPUs than CPUs some VCPUs will be off CPU in some periods.

As to the Dom0 pinning, I was under the impression that not only will
you have to pin Dom0 to e.g. cpu0, but you will have to ensure that no
other VPCU can run on cpu0. So that would mean that all other domains
will have to be pinned to CPU 1 through 7.

Using the Xen Credit scheduler you can give some domains more CPU
time, than other Domains. Meaning that if one domU1 has 256 credits
and domU2 has 128, then domU1 will, over time, get twice as much CPU
time.
 Note that if domU1 has nothing to do in a period, then domU2 will
get all the CPU time.
Also note that I believe that the domain credit will be split among
the VPCUs in the domain, so if domU1 has 4 VCPUs then each VPCU would
have 64 credits. again if the some of those VCPU doesn't use up their
credit, then the rest of the VCPUs in the domain will get to use the
remaining credits.

Please note that it is only CPU allocation that the scheduler takes
care of, I/O sharing is handled by the Dom0 OS.
 So if the Dom0 OS is up to fairly share disk I/O a single domU could
starve all other domUs.
Also it seems that local Dom0 I/O operations has a tendency to take precedence.

There is also the book: 'The Definitive Guide to the Xen Hypervisor'
 http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780132349710

 Henry