Re: [Xen-users] Disabling Xen Platform PCI device on XCP

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Disabling Xen Platform PCI device on XCP
From: Craig Miskell <craig.miskell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 13:02:19 +1300
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 17:03:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Craig Miskell wrote:
> Hi,
>       Does anyone know how (if at all) it is possible to disable the Xen
> Platform PCI
> device on an HVM guest of XCP 0.5?
>
> Googling indicates that changing xen_platform_pci to 0 in the guest config
> should do what I'm after, but I'm at a loss to know where in XCP that sort of
> additional setting can be made.

Hi all,
        Just following up.  I still haven't figured out how to answer my
specific
question, but I've solved the overall problem another way.

The root of my problem was trying to run Debian Squeeze as an HVM guest[1].  The
installer ran, but it choked at boot time when trying to initialise the Xen
Platform PCI device (hung, then kernel panic'd after a few minutes)

My resolution was to install one of the unstable builds of XCP (36486 as it
happens; I had other unrelated issues with 37099).  I guess that the Xen
Platform PCI driver in Squeeze (which is all based on Xen 4.0.1) was in some way
incompatible with the precise version of emulated device in XCP 0.5.

Given that I didn't find anything in my initial googling around this issue,
hopefully this post will help any others who have similar.

[1] Yes, I know I could run it paravirtualised; this was a deliberate choice
related to the reason for the virtualisation system we are setting up.

- --
Craig Miskell
Senior Systems Administrator
Opus International Consultants
Phone: +64 4 471 7209
Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life has not. In some schools they have abolished failing grades;
they'll give you as many times as you want to get the right answer.
This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life
- --Charles Sykes.