Re: [Xen-users] p2v wlh windows?

To: Xen-Users List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] p2v wlh windows?
From: chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 09:48:08 -0400
Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 06:49:15 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:content-type; bh=anZeHMpktxiTAaeEwVEpgOTsbKf57zACntPXftCHyr8=; b=uG61tdvw0qE5mxWWVvSrb9J9rROcCARVKENSNjIKLOwY8R/KarXB3WrgqcT0zJ5MJp USVbAORpQdOctUxqN/54SlDEJlSvSlRZkN7bF3RdB0ktIXVF+IM3G95eUipgAFgScuqN xNsm5S7eRtJ7FSwi0pySKRdo6C93EShIYJDv4=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi Chris,
>
> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM, chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I've been using Xen quite a bit the last 3 years and everything has
> > been going very well. I usually create my vm's from scratch but
> > occasionally for certain special situations I will p2v. I have run
> > into a brick wall with p2v of wlh editions of windows (vista,server
> > 2008, etc). Since these editions of windows have imaged based
> > > installs, they do not have the in place upgrade "repair" function that
> > is in many earlier versions of windows. Has anyone been successful
> > p2v'ing these versions of windows? I've tried various things from the
> > recovery console, rebuild bcd, fix boot record, etc. I fully
> > understand that the windows hal is what causes the bluescreen and
> > causes it not to boot, and I've read some people being able to replace
> > the hal dll's but it seems like there has got to be a better way?
> >
> > Any input would be appreciated.
> >

> Adding the IDE settings to the registry can help:
>
> These links should help.
> http://www.proxmox.com/cms_proxmox/cms/upload/misc/mergeide.reg
>
> Thanks,
> Todd
>
> --
> Todd Deshane
> http://todddeshane.net
> http://runningxen.com

Hello,

I've tried the mergeide on 2 windows 2008 guests and it has no effect
on the bluescreen 0x7b. This is weird to me because 7b is exactly what
that script it supposed to help with. My only last idea was to try
acronis universal restore, I avoided it previously because I would
rather use non commercial software when possible, but I've run out of
ideas.

Has someone been able to successfully p2v any wlh windows version? How
did you acheive it?

- chris