Re: [Xen-users] Win 2008 x86 / GPLPV on Xen 4.0.1 - BSOD whem migrating

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Adam Wilbraham" <adam.wilbraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Win 2008 x86 / GPLPV on Xen 4.0.1 - BSOD whem migrating HVM to a new machine.
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 13:07:49 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:08:41 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Do you have "viridian=1" specified in your HVM configuration?  This one bit me
a couple of times, and enabling the viridian interface fixed it.

-Nick

>>> On 2010/08/31 at 09:41, Adam Wilbraham <adam.wilbraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> I am encountering an issue on some HVMs I have just built, and I'm
> wondering if its expected behaviour. I have a number of Windows 2008
> HVM installs on Xen 4.0.1 (on top of Debian Lenny, kernel
> 2.6.32-bpo.5-xen-686) which use the latest GPLPV driver*. The
> underlying disk subsystem is replicated with DRBD to help provide
> disaster recovery. The issue I'm seeing is if I migrate (not live, a
> shutdown and start clean) any of these domUs to the other node then I
> will get a BSOD on boot. The only way to "cure" this BSOD is to boot
> into safe mode, then do a restart of it when it will subsequently boot
> fine. The error given within the BSOD tells me to run CHKDSK /F so I'm
> wondering if its just because the underlying hardware has changed and
> the virtual disk is exposing itself slightly differently between
> servers.
>
> Its not a server specific issue - it happens in both directions.
> Unfortunately I'm not sure if it was happening before the GPLPV
> drivers were installed - I pretty much put them on straight away after
> the Windows setup.
>
> There doesn't appear to be any data loss or serious side effects to
> this BSOD, its just slightly annoying to have to boot each domU into
> safe mode & restart again before its operational. I've seen some
> problems with BSODs and migration of HVMs before, but this time I can
> guarantee that it happens each time I migrate.
>
> Anyone had any similar experiences?
>
> * http://www.meadowcourt.org/downloads/gplpv_Vista2008x32_0.11.0.213.msi
> is th eGPLPV driver I'm using.

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.