[Xen-users] Xen bonding, vlans, bridging with dom0 included...

To: "Xen User-List" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen bonding, vlans, bridging with dom0 included...
From: "Donny Brooks" <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 09:45:54 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 07:47:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ok, I am finally going to make the jump and try to move my dom0 to the bridged
interface and use all 4 of my NIC's in the server for the bond. I have a
working bonding w/ vlan setup, I just need some advise on the moving of the
dom0 management IP. So far I have the following set for the bond and vlans with
bridge:

root@xen ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
# Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
USECTL=no
MASTER=bond0
SLAVE=yes
MTU=1496

eth2 and eth3 are the same with just device being set properly.

[root@xen ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0
DEVICE=bond0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
USERCTL=no
MTU=1496

[root@xen ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-bond0.2
DEVICE=bond0.2
VLAN=yes
BRIDGE=br2
BOOTPROTO=none
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

Similar for ifcfg-bond0.3 through ifcfg-bond0.15

[root@xen ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br2
DEVICE=br2
TYPE=Bridge
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes

Similar for ifcfg-br3 through ifcfg-br15

[root@xen ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 bnx2
alias eth1 bnx2
alias eth2 bnx2
alias eth3 bnx2
alias scsi_hostadapter megaraid_sas
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ata_piix
alias bond0 bonding
options bond0 miimon=100 mode=4

This setup works with xen to allow the vlans to be passed to the domu's via the
"bridge=brX" config. What I cannot get to work is the dom0 "management" ip to
be on the bond also unless I put it's IP address configuration settings in the
ifcfg-bond0 file. Is this normal? I thought I read somewhere that the IP
settings had to go in the ifcfg-brX or ifcfg-bond0.X file but neither of those
work. I am testing this on my xen test box before I go live on the production
machine. Should the IP setting in the ifcfg-bond0 file be fine and still allow
the vlans to pass properly to the domu's? Just don't want to jack anything so I
am seeing if anyone has done this before that can give their two cents. Thanks!

--

Donny B.