Re: [Xen-users] question to DRBD users/experts

To: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] question to DRBD users/experts
From: Ervin Novak <enovak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 22:32:50 +0200
Cc: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:34:54 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> Our big concern is split brain and how to handle that when it happens.
> If you have a large, shared storage over drbd with VMs running on either
> host, how do you handle a split brain situation from a recovery
> standpoint?
Use the SLE HA extension. With pacemaker and a hardware STONITH
device, you'll be able to fence the dead node.

To prevent data loss on the DRBD volume, you can choose between three
replication modes.
http://www.drbd.org/users-guide-emb/s-replication-protocols.html

> One idea we had is to run multiple ocfs2/drbd's, one for each VM, and we
> can pick and choose which way to recover in a split brain. That seems
> like it makes it a lot more complex and not sure how successful it would
> even be.
DRBD can be used both as a level under, and on top of LVM2. I think
I'd go with the one LV for a DomU + DRBD on the top of this config.
This way you don't even need cLVM.

Regards,
Ervin