Re: [Xen-users] Any experiences using glusterfs (2.0.8?/3.0.5?) with xen

To: "Balg, Andreas" <a.balg@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Any experiences using glusterfs (2.0.8?/3.0.5?) with xen 3.4.3 on CentOS 5.5 around ?
From: Adi Kriegisch <adi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:34:18 +0200
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 09:37:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi!

> did anybody setup and use xen hosts using glusterfs to share storage and
> allow live-migration?
I am about to test such configurations (although Debian based with Xen4)

My personal experiences with glusterfs are excellent. From what I read on
the web you would not want 2.x versions but 3.x:
(from the release notes of glusterfs 3.0.0[1])
" Self-heal of open files
    With this new feature GlusterFS can now self-heal replicated files
    even while they are open.  Servers can fail in replicated mode,
    recover transparently i.e. have the files housed on them automatically
    self-healed. The benefit of this feature is that Replicate use cases
    that also require files to remain open for extended periods, e.g. always
    open VM images, will work better and be more reliable and available
    when a Replicate server fails and recovers."
To me this means: VM images are officially supported by the glusterfs team
and by using version 3.x you will avoid issues described here[2]

I am very interested in your results; please share them!

-- Adi

[1]
http://ftp.zresearch.com/pub/gluster/glusterfs/3.0/3.0.0/GlusterFS-3.0.0-Release-Notes.pdf
[2] http://gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-users/20090119/001433.html