[Xen-users] Verify my understanding of PVs mounting partitions please

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Verify my understanding of PVs mounting partitions please
From: "Lippert, Kenneth B." <Kenneth.Lippert@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:48:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 12:49:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I haven't been able to test this on my hardware yet, but as I understand
this should be possible:

I have a computer with several physical partitions: (say /dev/sda1.
/dev/sdb1, /dev/sdb2).

I build a PV which boots from  a file-based disk image somewhere in the
/dev/sdb1 partition (/usr1/xen_vm_images/disk0).

>From that PV I can mount one of the real physical partitions (/dev/sdb2)
and read/write to it.  I can also export it via NFS.

>From the dom0 I can ALSO mount /dev/sdb2 (being careful not to write to
it).

I want to do this so that I can backup up the data in /dev/sdb2 from the
dom0 to a totally different machine without using time/resources  on the
PV.

On the second backup machine, I also have a /dev/sdb2 partition, which
receives the backups.  I also periodically, manually copy the disk image
of the PV to the backup machine (because I cannot run Remus on SuSE
10.1).

I want to be able to stop the PV on the primary, and start it up on the
backup machine.

Does this make sense?  Note that the /dev/sdb2 partition may be very
large, several terabytes, but the PV disk image is smaller, maybe 80GB.

Thank you in advance for any direction.

-k

Kenn Lippert
Computation & Simulation Modeling,