Re: [Xen-users] Trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on centos 5.5 w/ xen4.0

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Trying to install ubuntu 10.04 on centos 5.5 w/ xen4.0
From: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 14:46:12 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 12:47:32 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/25/2010 9:04 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM, Donny Brooks<dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
As the title states, I am trying to install a PV ubuntu 10.04 domu on my
centos 5.5 xen 4.0 dom0. The steps I have attempted are as follows:
6 - grabbed the virtualized kernel and ramdisk from another running physical
machine to use in step 7.
You can just copy it from the domU you just installed.

7 - cat ubuntu.xen.running
name = "ubuntu-test"
memory = 2048
disk = ['phy:/dev/domuvg/ubuntu-pv,xvda,w' ]
vif = [ 'bridge=br2' ]
kernel = "/etc/xen/ubuntu-kernel/vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-server"
ramdisk = "/etc/xen/ubuntu-kernel/initrd.img-2.6.32-22-server"
there's no "extra" line. How does the kernel suppose to know where the
root filesystem is?

I added the extra line with the UUID and such and was able to boot the domu. However it had no networking other than just localhost. So I also couldn't install any other software.

Is there an easier way to do this than with the "kernel" and
"ramdisk" options? I don't want to deal with the pygrub issue with grub2
unless I just absolutely have to.
- install grub on domU. makes your life easier. The "extra" line above
should be whatever that comes after "vmlinuz-2.6.32-22-server" on
menu.lst, with the most important ones being "root" and "console"
- use pygrub/pv-grub

If I use pygrub and a dedicated /boot as ext3 should I be ok? Or is the grub2 being installed on the domu going to rear it's ugly head again? Also, how can I install grub on the domu if it won't boot?

When doing the install this way (http) it takes HOURS to complete due to some slow internet lines somewhere. This is a common occurrence I have seen with Ubuntu. Centos domu's are not blindingly fast either but I can usually have one installed via http virt-install in an hour or so. I am almost to the point to where I would ask if anyone has a working ubuntu 10.04 64-bit PV domu and config for xen 4.0 they would mind sharing. Or maybe the patched pygrub files to work with ubuntu's grub2 and ext4. That would be super helpful. I have almost everything else done for this. It's always something though.

Donny B.