[Xen-users] GPLPV on NetBSD dom0

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] GPLPV on NetBSD dom0
From: Dustin Marquess <dmarquess@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:16:14 -0500
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 13:19:14 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:date:message-id :subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=P6rsMzHCS6ibrIqONfFt1Gi5g5NFajS1aNIExF0qPfM=; b=p3CeXmQrCRee07DatJOA42OGYTFIfqcqm0ouuEozs9lD1XyXhts8gw+9KiIZt/Qz87 AhEC0BbnQGFOzMWNGeOUx2MlOVMXwg8ICIEOgIzPmRaqFXOQ2WubAOvDteNsC4RrH/iq xCBD4JNONhSMv68jor9ueGA0dsnaQT0e8aXrM=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Finally got a chance to look at this again.

Trying to install GPLPV on a Windows domU while running under a NetBSD/dom0 (Xen 3.3.2) causes a STOP 0x0000007B at boot.  Going through the debug output a few months ago, James thought it had to do with the backend state.

Looking at the code, XenPci_XenConfigDeviceSpecifyBuffers() calls XenPci_ChangeFrontendState() with a backend_state_response of XenbusStateInitWait, however the current backend state is XenbusStateConnected.  Because of this it eventually times out, fails, and then Windows can't find the drive and STOPs.

As a quick kludge, in XenPci_ChangeFrontendState() before the while() loop I added:

  if ((backend_state_response == XenbusStateInitWait)&&(xppdd->backend_state == XenbusStateConnected))
          backend_state_response = XenbusStateConnected;

After recompiling the drivers and loading them, everything appears to work fine.

So my question is, is this a NetBSD bug (bringing the devices up to the the wrong state too early), or it is a GPLPV bug?  I tried comparing the NetBSD Xen kernel code against the code in the Linux kernel and I didn't see anything  that stood out.  If it's a NetBSD problem, I'll open a PR in their bug system.

Thanks!
-Dustin