Re: Re: [Xen-users] decreasing file based xen image

To: "Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Re: [Xen-users] decreasing file based xen image
From: Matej Zary <zary@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:27:28 +0200
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 06:29:03 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 21:36 +0200, Israel Garcia wrote:
> I have an old xen server running on debian eth with a couple of file
> based xen image. See below:
>

> 'file:/vserver/domains/host.domain/swap.img,sda1,w', --> 80G
> 'file:/vserver/domains/host.domain/disk.img,sda2,w',  --> 80G
>

> Is possible to decrease to 40G each file? How?
>

> --
> Regards;
> Israel Garcia

Hi,

first - backup everything. :)

Then - resize the filesystem on the .img file (resize2fs) - can be done
also from Dom0 and then truncate the file accordingly (truncate - always
better to leave some space unallocated, than truncate part of the
filesystem - own experience :D).

(I'm afraid utility truncate is not in Etch even in Lenny (as part of
the bsdmainutils - they added it in Squeeze AFAIK but you can try
install them into Etch from the Squeeze repository))

Regards

Matej