Re: [Xen-users] Can't boot after upgrading Xen

To: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Can't boot after upgrading Xen
From: Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 17:21:14 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 31 May 2010 09:22:52 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On 31/05/10 16:15, Jonathan Tripathy wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I install CentOS 5.5 using the virtualisation option during install. I then wanted to install Xen 4.0

So I compiled it according to this guide: http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Xen4.0

The only thing I changed in grub was the "kernel" parameter to the new xen.gz file that the compiler made.

Now my system won't boot. I have a Dell H200 RAID controller, and I don't think it can find the drivers for it...

This confuses me as the only thing I changed was the kernel parameter in grub. The 2 "module" parameters were left the same.

The hypervisor does seem to boot, and the errors about the controller happened shortly after "Rash Hat nash" is displayed, indicated that the problem lies with the Dom0.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Just to clarify, I can still get into my system if I manually modify the grub "kernel" argument to set it back to the orignal .gz xen image.

I tried to following this guide to install 3.4.2: http://www.syntaxtechnology.com/2010/01/upgrade-xen-3-0-on-centos-5-4-x86_64-to-xen-3-4-2/

This time, the error is as follows:

mount: could not find filesystem /dev/root

Then there is a lot of failed setuproot messages, then eventually it kernel panics...