Re: [Xen-users] making a raid 0 on a domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] making a raid 0 on a domU
From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2010 10:41:40 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 May 2010 01:44:47 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Friday 28 May 2010 10:28:53 Israel Garcia wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 10:23 AM, Jonathan Tripathy <jonnyt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> > On 28/05/10 09:01, Israel Garcia wrote:
> >> Hi guys,
> >>
> >> Do you know if I can make a raid 0 with two hdd devices on a domU?
> >>
> >> I'm running debian lenny as a dom0.
> >
> > If you're talking about software RAID, sure you can!
> > Just use the 2 VHD's in a software RAID style.
> >
> > But RAID0? Stay away from that :) Especially on 2 VHDs
>
> Yeap, I'm looking for better performance ..:-)
>
> regards,
> Israel.

Are the 2 VHDs on seperate physical disks?
If yes, why not run the RAID0 inside the DOM0 and export that as a single VHD
to the DOMU?

 RAID0 won't give you better performance if the VHDs are on the same physical
disk.
I have no intention of testing this, but I would actually expect worse
performance if the images are not fragmented into each other in just the right
way to have each consecutively read block in sequence:
Eg. <block1 on disk1><block1 on disk2><block2 on disk1><block2 on disk2>....

But I agree with Jonathan, RAID0 should only be used for filesystems where a
lot of temporary storage is placed. 1 disk failure of the 2 and the entire
filesystem is gone. That is not a good idea for important files.

--
Joost Roeleveld