RE: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand ha

To: "Bart Coninckx" <bart.coninckx@xxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] High availability and live migration with just LVMand hardware fencing
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 09:43:19 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 19 May 2010 06:45:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We've done it with and without CLVM.  It's not a requirement, but it
works, and can compensate for storage devices that make it cumbersome to
manage the number of LUNs needed for your deployment.

Advantanges of CLVM:

- Fully clustered, uses robust fencing, no single point of failure
- Integration with device mapper allows for intuitive logical volume
names
- Works identically atop any network block storage (iSCSI etc.)
- Supports mirroring of block devices in recent releases
- Synchronizes volume group changes across cluster

Disadvantages:

- No support for volume snapshots (maybe someday--last I tried it didn't
work)
- Not available or convenient to use with all OS distributions
- Requires cluster infrastructure--difficult to use with system
partitions (e.g. /, /var)
- No thin provisioning

For my money I prefer the LUN management that ships with certain SAN
products (such as Dell's Equallogic arrays) over CLVM.  As we consider
moving away from a RHEL-supported dom0 kernel towards something like XCP
or XenServer, it'll become a necessity.

-Jeff