Re: [Xen-users] Virtualization vs. Cassandra and Hadloop

To: Dennis <arsenepark@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Virtualization vs. Cassandra and Hadloop
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 09:27:57 +0700
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 06 May 2010 19:29:15 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Dennis <arsenepark@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I belive the http servers and application servers should be set up on virtual
> VMs, but what about the Cassandra and Hadloop servers, should their be set up
> on VMs or directly on physical machines? If they should be set up on VMs, the
> data of Cassandra and Hadloop should be stored in local storage or a Storage
> Repository?

It's up to you and your designs, really.
Some would suggest put everything on VMs and shared storage. That
would offer maximum flexibility.

I'd simply put them on local storage as VMs though. No need to compete
with other VMs for precious storage IOPS when you'll never gonna use
live migration for it. When it gets too big for a VM, or when a host's
resource is only enough to run that one VM, moving Linux VMs to
physical machine is a relatively simple process.

--
Fajar