RE: [Xen-users] Supported Dom U platform

To: "Anh Nguyen" <nguyenminhanh@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Supported Dom U platform
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 13:20:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 May 2010 10:22:24 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Xen does virtualization, not emulation.   It supports several CPU architectures, but your domU sees the same CPU as your dom0.

That said, on x86-64 platforms you can mix/match 32-bit and 64-bit domains provided the hypervisor is a 64-bit build.   This works because the underlying hardware supports it, not because any emulation is taking place.

As I understand it Xen uses QEMU solely for device emulation.  It's required for HVM domains.  Pavarvirtualized domains don't need QEMU at all.