Re: [Xen-users] 2 node - failover cluster

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 2 node - failover cluster
From: Jean Baptiste FAVRE <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 22:14:25 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:16:01 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,
Peter only has 2 nodes to make redundant each other.
This way, DRBD is maybe the best choice: it avoids the need of a
centralized storage and still allows live migration (and therefore
failover) of VMs.

The primary/primary mode works very well.
PV VMs storage can be defined using "disk = [ 'drbd:resource,xvda,w' ]"
(see http://www.drbd.org/docs/about/) which makes Xen in charge of
changing DRBD mode if need. But, be aware this only works for
paravirtualized VMs, not HVM ones.

The only thing is that it will not replace a pure share storage. But
basically, a SAN or NAS won't either, except (maybe) using a cluster FS
over DRBD.

Regards,
JB