Re: [Xen-users] how can you boot an existing linux domU off the cdrom on

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how can you boot an existing linux domU off the cdrom on sles11 dom0?
From: James Pifer <jep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 10:15:01 -0400
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 07:16:39 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 13:25 -0600, Nick Couchman wrote:

> > Nick,
> >
> > Thanks for the response. Always appreciate your help.
> >
> > I don't think the first part will work because I need the scsi pci
> card
> > attached for the domU when it boots. So doing it as a new
> installation
> > won't work, unless I can somehow add that PCI device.
>
> Ah, I see.
>

> > The second part might work if I add the init=/bin/bash and also add
> > pci=['0e:04.0','0e:04.1'] to the config. Then xm create it. So it
> would
> > be:
> >
> > xm delete domU
> > modify config file for extra parameter and pci line
> > xm create domU
> > hopefully get to a bash prompt and have enough info to do what is
> needed
> > xm destroy domU
> > xm delete domU
> > modify config again and remove "extra" parameter
> > xm create domU
> >
> > That cover it?
>
> Yes, that should cover it.

Not having much luck with this. I was able to boot to bash using the
init=/bin/bash, but I don't think the pci subsystem gets loaded, so it
doesn't help a lot.

Then I found this article, which says if you want to boot an existing
machine off a CD, you have to temporarily change it to an HVM:
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/3046/how-boot-paravirtual-xen-domu-cd-rom-or-iso-sles-10-sp1-or-opensuse-103

I'm going to start another thread though. Further investigation it seams
that the issue is more scsi related than anything, because the system
boots, just dies during boot.

Thanks,
James