Re: [Xen-users] Re: Snapshotting LVM backed guests from dom0

To: Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: Snapshotting LVM backed guests from dom0
From: chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 17:10:40 -0400
Cc: Xen-Users List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 14:12:05 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=o2a+VYPXRdIPTftSVreO5Wlw0MnEkCggLTNF3XNMK2s=; b=cajWpdqBQVwN++avD5ZnKZC5qrVh9i2cl6oR9jUMmHz5SIm5nzRzHw1D2X0tVmkQeu vCgtykHR4nlX/mCzz0mmRsdcfTNoIE5dDbV+KVsjAliEAayWUGIQUCpLZarHRuMke4bO 9zj+Vww0jMY7zaKAvxE3IlPY6cgIRwtfcshjQ=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks everyone for the tips i will try experimenting with these over
this weekend and let you know how much it helps if any.

- chris

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM, chris <tknchris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Just looking for some feedback from other people who do this. I know
>>> its not a good "backup" method but "crash consistent" images have been
>>> very useful for me in disaster situations just to get OS running
>>> quickly then restore data from a data backup. My typical setup is to
>>> put the LV in snapshot mode while guest is running then dd the data to
>>> a backup file which is on a NFS mount point. The thing that seems to
>>> be happening is that the VM's performance gets pretty poor during the
>>> time the copy is happening. My guesses at why this was happening were:
>>>
>>> 1.   dom0 having equal weight to the other 4 guests on the box and
>>> somehow hogging cpu time
>>> 2.   lack of QoS on the IO side / dom0 hogging IO
>>> 3.   process priorities in dom0