RE: [Xen-users] RHEL xen vs kvm

To: "Arpan Jindal" <jindalarpan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Xen List" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] RHEL xen vs kvm
From: Jeff Sturm <jeff.sturm@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:26:22 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 19:28:49 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Like others have already said, you've asked this question on a Xen list, and you may want to ask on a RHEL or KVM list to get another viewpoint.

We use Xen today extensively.  For what it's worth, here are my observations and opinions in no particular order:

-      If you use a commercial cloud provider like Amazon EC2 or Rackspace Cloud, you probably already use Xen (at least the domU) and may not have a choice.

-      Xen supports paravirtualization without qemu assistance and without hardware support.  This may be an advantage if you are on older hardware, or wish to tailor a stripped-down distribution to run as a domU (e.g. you can build a Linux paravirt kernel without most hardware drivers, or a stubdom based on miniOS).  It's fascinating to me how truly small yet functional a domU can be.

-      The Linux kernel is big.  Very big.  I don't have a technical argument not to place the hypervisor inside Linux (as in KVM) but find it more aesthetically satisfying to separate the hypervisor from the kernel.  The Xen hypervisor is quite small, consisting of a text section under 900KB on my x86-64 hardware.  (I also wish Linux were smaller but don't see that trend reversing soon.)

-      The Xen hypervisor has its own scheduler that runs independent of the Linux process scheduler, potentially yielding more flexibility in system configuration and optimization.  KVM however relies on the Linux process scheduler to switch domains, as I understand it.  (I'll avoid arguments whether the Xen or KVM/Linux scheduler is superior for typical workloads.)

-      The argument that KVM is integrated with the kernel and Xen is not is becoming moot.  Thanks to new pv_ops kernels and Jeremy Fitzhardinge's efforts to merge with the upstream kernel, Xen will soon be as usable with the latest kernels as KVM.

-      Red Hat's reasons for embracing KVM seem odd, and possibly a little bit of "NIH" syndrome.  With enough work I'm certain KVM can be as good as Xen, or better, in terms of features and support.  Whatever problem they had with Xen, are we supposed to believe finishing KVM was less effort than merging Xen?

In the end I don't know that we needed two hypervisors that are so similar, but we have them.  It's going to come down to something like choosing between Intel or AMD.  One might have a slight edge over the other at any moment, or be somehow more elegant than the other, but both are very capable and you can do a lot with them.

Jeff