[Xen-users] P2V question

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] P2V question
From: Donny Brooks <dbrooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 15:54:47 -0500
Delivery-date: Mon, 12 Apr 2010 13:56:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am looking at virtualizing a few CentOS 5.4 and Fedora 11 servers (all
64-bit) here at work onto a brand new shiny Xen 3.4.2 CentOS 5.4 machine. To
move the physical machine to a virtual machine should it be as easy as
1. Setup the LVM LV to house the disk on the xen server
2. Boot the physical machine from a live/rescue cd and use dd to copy the disk
over to the LV on the xen machine.
3. Mount the LV and change the grub.conf, fstab, and update the kernel to one
that will do paravirt
4. Setup the guest.xml file and boot

This will be the first time I have attempted this kind of migration, but it
seems pretty straightforward. I would appreciate any and all pointers on this
subject. Thanks in advance!
--

Donny B.