Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4 - Page Sharing HowTo?

To: Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] Re: [Xen-users] Xen 4 - Page Sharing HowTo?
From: Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 15:59:19 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Apr 2010 08:00:53 -0700
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:in-reply-to:references :date:received:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=dgJm9dz0quMTJ+YQAcu1HWL6ovnp9A8V2sTdRvyJzf4=; b=qLnVjvSdwuUZCBlcBbDS4jJF8JbDhQBvJFZPEIAx/5laqzqcJqS0FrvG5vsvQHWv0x rfgV65su78MeZEpQNE3FJvv/RX7kgDqOKa8ae7j6EYF+wuXn+xCGtY0DQYS3PewJTWZl kNDivDJfEVKVgO9aDuSVfsZjElsDvSfnTE+PA=
Sender: xen-devel-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Keir Fraser <keir.fraser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Should be unconditionally printed during Xen boot. Not when memory sharing
> is first used.
>
>>> Also the 4.0 release announcement mentioned page to disk, but again I
>>> can find no reference to that... has anybody tested these new
>>> features?
>
> I think you run the xenpaging daemon manually on each domain you want to
> have paged to disc. The daemon is probably under /usr/sbin/xenpaging. It
> takes two arguments: domain-id and memory allocated to the domain, in 4kB
> pages (e.g., memory in MB, multiplied by 256).
>
>  -- Keir

Hmm, I tried that but as soon as I run xenpaging it outputs lots of errors:

ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error flushing ioemu cache
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page
ERROR Internal error: Error mapping page

Perhaps there are hardware requirements for page to disk?

Any idea what I need to do to have memory sharing support compiled
into blktap2? The combination of memory sharing + blktap2 results in
this error when I try to start a vm:

using config file "./jos-ts3.cfg".
Error: Failed to create device.
    stdout:
    stderr: MEMSHR support not compiled in.
Check that target "/mnt/tb1_store/Xen_VMs/WinXP/WinXP.hda" exists and
that blktap2 driver installed in dom0.

Andy