Re: [Xen-users] dom0 memory usage >1GB at startup (no domU's configured)

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] dom0 memory usage >1GB at startup (no domU's configured)
From: "Nick Couchman" <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 08:32:32 -0600
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 06:05:29 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Use "top" and sort by memory usage to see what's taking up the memory.  Also,
you might consider specifying "dom0_mem" on the xen kernel boot line, as this
will limit the memory that dom0 sees, which will affect how memory is allocated
on the system.

Don't be fooled by the "xm info" output, or the "xm top" output, for that
matter.  No, this does not mean that only 2GB of RAM are available for guests.
I'm assuming you've already started up one domU on that machine?  Xen
automatically balloons memory on dom0 as guests (domUs) are started - so, if
you start a guest that takes up 4GB, you'll see the dom0 memory decrease to 4GB
and the rest will be allocated to the domU.  Xen does *not* automatically
reassign memory back to dom0 after a domU is shut down - dom0s memory remains
lower and the memory is marked as "free" to Xen.  When you first start up your
machine, before you launch any domUs, you should see close to 0 MB listed as
"free" in the "xm info" screen.  This is another reason why it's good to set
dom0_mem at boot time - it'll give you a much better idea of how much memory
you actually have available using the xm commands.

-Nick

>>> stalks  04/03/10 8:44 PM >>>
Dear list,

I have a new install of Debian Squeeze.

I have followed the hints from the ParaVirtOps wiki page to grab
Jeremy's kernel sources from kernel.org and compiled a 2.6.31.x (and
2.6.33.x) kernel.

I have yet to install any significant software other than package
"xen-hypervisor-3.4-amd64".

The machine is a Core i7 920 with 8GB RAM.

If I boot the plain kernel (without xen-3.4.gz) I get ~65MB ram usage
shown in free -m.

If I boot with full xen, bear in mind I have no domU's yet, I get the
following:

 > free -m
Mem:          7948       1412       6535          0          9        107
-/+ buffers/cache:       1295       6652
Swap:            0          0          0

 > xm info
host                   : oracle
release                : 2.6.33.2-amd64-xen
version                : #1 SMP Sun Apr 4 00:21:54 BST 2010
machine                : x86_64
nr_cpus                : 8
nr_nodes               : 1
cores_per_socket       : 4
threads_per_core       : 2
cpu_mhz                : 2660
hw_caps                :
bfebfbff:28100800:00000000:00000340:0098e3bd:00000000:00000001:00000000
virt_caps              : hvm
total_memory           : 8183
free_memory            : 2174
node_to_cpu            : node0:0-7
node_to_memory         : node0:2174
xen_major              : 3
xen_minor              : 4
xen_extra              :
xen_caps               : xen-3.0-x86_64 xen-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_32
hvm-3.0-x86_32p hvm-3.0-x86_64
xen_scheduler          : credit
xen_pagesize           : 4096
platform_params        : virt_start=0xffff800000000000
xen_changeset          : unavailable
cc_compiler            : gcc version 4.4.3 (Debian 4.4.3-2)
cc_compile_by          : waldi
cc_compile_domain      : debian.org
cc_compile_date        : Mon Mar  1 21:16:18 UTC 2010
xend_config_format     : 4

 > xm top
     xentop - 03:33:21   Xen 3.4
     1 domains: 1 running, 0 blocked, 0 paused, 0 crashed, 0 dying, 0
shutdown
     Mem: 8379516k total, 6152576k used, 2226940k free    CPUs: 8 @ 2660MHz

(free -m): Over 1GB used inside dom0 already?
(xm info): Only 2GB available for guests?
  (xm top): Over 6GB used?

The only processes running outside of bare minimum are xinetd, sendmail,
mdadm and ssh.

I can stop xend and xendomains from starting, and I still have 1GB used
at startup.

The same setup on a lesser spec'd machine is working fine with ~140Mb
used at boot. I've spent a few hours on this and am at a loss.

Some info can be found at the following sources:

http://www.nooblet.org/other/xen-users/lspci.txt
http://www.nooblet.org/other/xen-users/lspci-vv.txt
http://www.nooblet.org/other/xen-users/cpuinfo.txt
http://www.nooblet.org/other/xen-users/grub.txt
http://www.nooblet.org/other/xen-users/dmesg.txt
http://www.nooblet.org/other/xen-users/meminfo.txt
http://www.nooblet.org/other/xen-users/ps-awwux.txt

Someone show me the light!

Regards,
Steve.

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.