RE: [Xen-users] XCP: Networking, bridges and bondings

To: 'Pasi Kärkkäinen' <pasik@xxxxxx>, "Angel L. Mateo" <amateo@xxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] XCP: Networking, bridges and bondings
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:44:17 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: Xen User-List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:45:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> >     I have configure it now XCP with bonding (as described in the
> > documentation), but it has a strange behaviour:
> >
> > * bond0 doesn't appear in /proc/net/bonding
> > * With brctl show I get:

As Pasi says, XCP is now using the openvswitch code rather than the linux
bridging code.

The openvswitch handles bonding and VLAN tagging differently to the stock linux
code. There is a small compatibility shim but it's incomplete (and will never
be perfect). IIRC the vswitch represents bonds as an association of switch
ports and considers VLANs to be a property of switch ports (with guest VIFs
plugged into those). Rather than use the compatibility shim (brctl etc) I think
you'd get a clearer picture if you used the openvswitch-specific commands.
Check out the commands ovs-* in dom0. It's probably worth checking out the
openvswitch mailing lists too, for low-level details.

Cheers,
Dave