Re: [Xen-users] Free Xen Server 5.5 - Any thoughts? Migration?

To: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Free Xen Server 5.5 - Any thoughts? Migration?
From: Thomas Halinka <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 13:45:23 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Dunkley <Robert@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 04:46:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 24.02.2010, 13:43 +0200 schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:39:09AM -0000, Robert Dunkley wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > We currently run Xen 3.30 on Centos 5.2. We have a mix of Windows VMs
> > with the GPLPV drivers, Centos HVMs and Centos paravirt VMs. Using
> > Infiniband/OFED and DRBD too (These both seem to be possible to compile
> > and use on Xen Server 5.5).
> >
> > Sorry for so many questions:
> > Is it likely I can use the existing VMs under Xen Server?
> >

> With some conversion work, yes.
>
> > I noticed the "Free" license has a 1 year expiry, is it likely to change
> > to being non-free?
> >

> No idea.. you could also use XCP, which doesn't have licensing limitations
> since it's fully opensource.

Nope - you just need a new key - that all and free ;-)

> > Does Xen Center offer live migration?
> >

> Yes.
>
> > Can I still use the xm live migration command?
> >

> No, XenServer (and XCP) doesn't have xm tools.
> They have a completely different management toolstack and api called 'xapi',
> which has 'xe' cmdline tool for management.
>
> > If I upgrade Xenserver later on do I need to recompile DRBD and OFED (Do
> > upgrades always involve a kernel change?)
> >

> Yeah.. using out-of-distribution stuff is always more painful.

You can build them through the XS DDK. drbd works fine on XS 4.X and
5.X...

just use rpmbuild

Never plaid with OFED, but FCoE works like a Charme on XS :-)

No Idea how this works with OFED but with FCoE i had to hack a script
down in /opt/xensourcen/sm...

> You could try working with the XCP developers to get DRBD and OFED integrated
> into
> the product..

Any Infos about FCoE in XCP? Will this be available?

> -- Pasi

thomas