Re: [Xen-users] Use of memory on Dom0 ?

Fajar A. Nugraha a écrit :
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Olivier B. <xen.list@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You're right, it's a solution yes (all my domU are PV).
But how does it works if a software use "1800" of that memory, and I reduce
it to 1000 ?

It'd behave the same as if you run another software that uses 800M of
memory. On most cases it'd just use swap. On some cases (like when the
app specifically lock the memory it uses, making it unswappable) it
might make domU crash or experience OOM.

Or maybe is there a way to reserve this memory for disk caching only ?

No direct way that I know of. You need to know how much memory your
application needs/uses.
Linux uses available memory for cache. If your application only use
1000M, then the rest (800M) will be used for caching. That 800M can be
ballooned-down safely.

If your application always need 1800M, then you should assign more
memory from the start.

Ok, the problem is that it's not "my application", it's users's applications, I don't really control what they do with their DomU.

If I use file backend for a partition, will it use the Dom0 memory for read cache ? (if Xen doesn't open files in O_DIRECT mode...)

In this case I can use 12Go to increase the DomU's memory by 50%, and 12Go as read cache from dom0 for domu's swap files :D Maybe it's a bad idea ?

Olivier