Re: [Xen-users] Xen on Intel Core i7-920 ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on Intel Core i7-920 ?
From: headhunter_unit23 <atatut@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 02:31:13 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 02:31:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
Yep, I have a Xen running on
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 26
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU         920  @ 2.67GHz
stepping        : 5

I must admit I was surprised by the processing power I got from this CPU, as
I was able to run:

- 1x firewall vpn 256MB RAM
- 1x anti-spam firewall 512MB RAM
- 1x domain controller filesharing 512MB RAM
- 1x exchange server 512MB RAM
- 1x gentoo webserver 512MB RAM
- 1x gentoo database server 512MB RAM
- 1x XP PC 512MB RAM

and still have room for more VMs.

Actually I’m planning to add some other VMs for test purposes on this system
as the CPU seems to sleep most of the time, even when I was compiling the
Gentoo VMs. Unless you’re looking to have developers coding and compiling on
VMs in your production system, I don’t think the CPU will be the limiting
factor to deploy a Xen in production. The quality of the motherboard and the
number of hdds (RAID 5 or 6 whatever the level of security/safety you need)
will determine the amount of VMs you can have on your system more than the
CPU power itself. If you want to have more than 20 VMs running on your
production system, then I suggest you go for a Xeon, otherwise the i7 920 is
an amazing alternative.

Hope this helps you,

cheers

headhunter