RE: [Xen-users] Citrix Xen Server

To: 'Ian Tobin' <itobin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Spector <stephen.spector@xxxxxxxxxx>, Fernando Berretta <fernando.berretta@xxxxxxxxx>, "xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Citrix Xen Server
From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 21:24:18 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:26:46 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

> Just curious, whats the difference between the citrix xenserver and the
> xen opensource cloud?  I don’t understand why there are different
> versions of it.

Xen Cloud Platform is all open-source (except the windows PV drivers),
collaboratively developed and suitable for exposing/trying out new
"experimental" features (e.g. basic SRIOV support)

Citrix XenServer is a commercial product based on the same open-source bits but
with some non-OSS stuff on top (e.g. Windows console, HA, Workload Balancing)

New features currently in the Xen Cloud Platform (e.g. dynamic memory control;
role-based admin; live checkpoint) will end up in XenServer, since they are
both based on the same code. Therefore if you want to try out the latest
bleeding-edge stuff, you should probably try XCP..

Dave