Re: [Xen-users] OSX host?

Mr Gabriel wrote:
Is it possible to run xen under osx?

I have a pretty beefy laptop, and it would really make my tech life pretty much perfect, because I would be able to build vm's locally, and migrate directly to the host destination.

Also, having a bunch of vm's of various flavors always available is also very appealing!

I run Linux VMs under Parallels (http://www.parallels.com/uk/products/desktop/)

It's not free (not too pricey either), but it does run them quite nicely. The biggest problem I have is RAM - I've an early model MacBook Pro limited to only 2G, and regularly get VM usage up to 3 or 4 Gig. The bank balance won't run to a newer model with larger RAM capability :-/

I've not actually tried building a VM under Parallels and then moving it to Xen - but it should be no harder than migrating a machine from a real (ie direct on the hardware) machine to a Xen guest.

My preferred technique for migration is :
Install Xen capable kernel on real machine.
Make the volumes, create filesystems, and mount them on the Xen host.
Use rsync (with -avH --numeric-ids) to copy everything from real machine to guest virtual disks (shutdown things like database engines first). Edit things like /etc/fstab in new copy of machine, unmount filesystems from Xen host.
Shutdown real machine, start Xen guest.

--
Simon Hobson

WANTED: "Software CD ROM Kit" for Canon CLBP 360-PS printer (Canon part no RH6-3612, or possibly RH6-3810, or RH6-3610 might do). I've a dead HD and need this CD so I can replace the disk and re-install the printer OS on it. If anyone knows where I might get hold of one I'd be grateful - requests to Canon drew a blank, it's been out of support for years.