Re: [Xen-users] VM checkpoint/restart and migration

To: Andreea Costea <andre.costea@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] VM checkpoint/restart and migration
From: "Dirk H. Schulz" <dirk.schulz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:01:41 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 03:02:28 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Andreea Costea schrieb:
Hi,

i am quite new to Xen, I want to do some experiments and I would like to know the followings regarding some of the Xen Hypervisor features:

*Context A: *2 hosts in the same LAN, 2 VMs on top of each host and a NFS storage with the disk images between the hosts. Host 1 contains VM1 and VM2 and Host 2 contains VM3 and VM4. All VMs have private IPs. 1. Save/restore: I run an application that was communicating with all 4 VMs in the same time. I suspended the application and I saved the state of VM1 to the shared storage and than restart VM1 from that file on top of Host2. Than I resumed the application and it continued it's execution successfully. So this means that the connections were preserved.
Interesting. An application should have some kind of timeout for open sessions; in any case this depends very much on how the app handles this. This test delivers by no means a valuable general result (sorry for hitting into it so directly).

You have to test this separately for every application you plan to deploy.

Dirk