[Xen-users] Re: Backup running domUs (was iSCSI Volumes and Xen)

> How do the so-called 'bare metal recovery' solutions do it on real running
> boxes? - I've always assumed they had some hook into the kernel to force a
> flush of the IO or maybe some scripts for installed daemons.

I imagine it depends on the solution - I'm sure some of them have hooks into
the kernel to make sure data is flushed to disk before creating a
snapshot/image, but I also imagine that some of them assume that journaling and
such will take care of most of the data issues.

> I suppose the only way one can guarantee the snapshot is consistent (yes,
> I know its still only a snapshot) is to actually shutdown the domU
> properly and snapshot the lvm before restarting it?

Maybe, I dunno - Microsoft Windows has VSS, which allows applications to
register and provides hooks for backup applications and such to interact with
the system while insuring data integrity.  I'm sure there are other things out
there that allow for similar functionality, and it would certainly be cool if
Xen could take advantage of the VSS hooks - perhaps in the GPLPV drivers.  I'm
not trying to put any more work on James, just throwing the idea out there
that, at least for Windows machines, VSS integration might actually be a good
place to start.

-Nick

--------
This e-mail may contain confidential and privileged material for the sole use
of the intended recipient.  If this email is not intended for you, or you are
not responsible for the delivery of this message to the intended recipient,
please note that this message may contain SEAKR Engineering (SEAKR)
Privileged/Proprietary Information.  In such a case, you are strictly
prohibited from downloading, photocopying, distributing or otherwise using this
message, its contents or attachments in any way.  If you have received this
message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this e-mail and
delete the message from your mailbox.  Information contained in this message
that does not relate to the business of SEAKR is neither endorsed by nor
attributable to SEAKR.