Re: [Xen-users] Why Xen 3.4.2 use 2.6.18 kernel

To: N Kelly <toastsoon@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Why Xen 3.4.2 use 2.6.18 kernel
From: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 05:05:48 +0700
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 06 Jan 2010 14:06:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:13 AM, N Kelly <toastsoon@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm working to install Xen with Ubuntu 9.10 and noticed during the build Xen
> 3.4.2 uses the Linux 2.6.18 kernel. Why?
>
> I would have expected it to be using a more recent kernel, and was just
> wondering why it's not.

Take a look at the links that Stephen mentioned, and also
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenDom0Kernels and
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps.

If you want newer kernel for dom0, you can use Jeremy's pv_ops kernel
or Suse's forward-ported xen kernel. For domU, you can use one of
those, or even vanilla kernel (stock Ubuntu 9.10 kernel should work as
well)

That being said, IMHO 2.6.18 is stilll the best kernel for xen so far
in terms of stability and performance. To be specific, I use RHEL's
kernel-xen rpm.

--
Fajar