[Xen-users] Install CentOS as Dom-U

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Install CentOS as Dom-U
From: Daniel Lam <daniel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 04:13:25 +1100
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 09:14:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

I'm getting confused trying to install CentOS as Dom-U.

I'm trying to follow instructions here,

which is to

1. Download "domU installation initrd image and kernel" from CentOS mirrors site
2. Create a Domain Config File which kernel and ramdisk parameters point to the
    files in step 1
3. Install the domain U by running "xm create <domain config file>"

So far so good. However in this domain U installation process, it asks about
package source location and the instructions in wiki suggested supplying the
normal CentOS download location. I'm confused - this is as if I'm installing
a "real" CentOS, like installing dom0.

My questions:

- If I proceed, am I installing as a para-virtualized CentOS (which is what I want),
  or am I installing as a full-virtualized CentOS (which is what it looks like to me at the moment)?

- When I was previously using Debian as domain-0, xen-tools set up the guest domain
  configuration file in such a way that its kernel parameter is specified "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-xen-686".
  However in the CentOS wiki, it's suggesting not to specify it after install.
  I don't get it - Should kernel be specified? And if it is, does it mean the kernel of
  domain-U is actually in domain 0?

- With Debian I could use xen-tools. Are there similar tools with CentOS?
  Some pointed virt-install but that appears to not have CentOS as one
  of the OS options.

Cheers,
Daniel