Re: [Xen-users] which processor family to select for Dom0 kernel based

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 10:02:14AM -0800, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> So where can the Xen kernel or the hypervisor be worked upon
>> which are downloaded from
>> http://www.xen.org/products/xen_source.html
>> or is there any other way I can compile a Xenified Kernel from source
>> and use it on  my machine.
>>

> Yes it will work on your machine. You don't need to choose Core2 Duo.
> You choose the best available/possible based on your environment.
Thanks a lot you replied after many days
other wise I would have been in big trouble

> Like said, the 2.6.26-2-686 kernel you are running is NOT optimized for
> Core2 Duo, it's _generic_ kernel.
>
> You can compile generic 686 2.6.18 kernel yourself.
You told me that I have 3 options
 for dom0 kernel

 option 1) use http://xenbits.xen.org/linux-2.6.18-xen.hg - no extra
patches needed
 option 2) use pv_ops dom0 kernel from git.kernel.org Jeremy's tree -
no extra patches needed
 option 3) use normal 2.6.3x kernel and apply novell/opensuse
forward-ported xen patches

I want to compile the kernel for Dom0 so I downloaded one from
http://www.xen.org/products/xen_source.html was it the right step ?
I downloaded the second download mentioned there
Linux 2.6.18 with Xen 3.4.x support source tarball, updated for Xen 3.4.2
do I need to download the hypervisor given there seperately or this
one has hypervisor also which I can compile along with this kernel

then
 I copied the conf file from /boot from a machine which is also having
Core2Duo and CentOS installed on it on which xm list shows me Dom0
running
and the this conf file I am using on the Debian machine to be able to
compile the kernel so that I get less errors while doing so I came to
know that
RHEL,SLES,CentOS all other major vendors which ship xen on the DVDs
which normal users use the conf file for each of them are different
I searched through your wiki
Read
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Dom0

http://wiki.debian.org/Xen#Dom0.28host.29

and on this link
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenParavirtOps
there is mentioned about

    * CONFIG_XEN=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_MAX_DOMAIN_MEMORY=32
    * CONFIG_XEN_SAVE_RESTORE=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_DOM0=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_PRIVILEGED_GUEST=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_PCI=y
    * CONFIG_PCI_XEN=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_FRONTEND=m
    * CONFIG_NETXEN_NIC=m
    * CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_FRONTEND=m
    * CONFIG_XEN_KBDDEV_FRONTEND=m
    * CONFIG_HVC_XEN=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_FBDEV_FRONTEND=m
    * CONFIG_XEN_BALLOON=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_SCRUB_PAGES=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_DEV_EVTCHN=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_BACKEND=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_BLKDEV_BACKEND=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_NETDEV_BACKEND=y
    * CONFIG_XENFS=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_COMPAT_XENFS=y
    * CONFIG_XEN_XENBUS_FRONTEND=m

I opened the conf file copied from CentOS but I did not found some of
the parameters which you have mentioned on wiki should be present now
that is where my problem is how to get them as it is mentioned on your
wiki
or where can I locate them

http://www.abhitech.com