[Xen-users] amd64 DomU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] amd64 DomU
From: Dan McClung <dmcclung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 22:51:21 -0500
Delivery-date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:52:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I am trying to set up an amd64 DomU. I have a cfg file I have been
copying to create 686 DomUs (the Dom0 is running an amd64 kernel), but
when I use it with the install-arch=amd64 I get an error that it can't
find the kernel:
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/xen/vmlinuz

Sure enough it is not there, although it is present in the i386
directory. I modified the config file to pull my local kernel
(/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-2-xen-amd64), but that hung when I tried to
install. So I changed the cfg file to pull the ramfs and the kernel from
the following path:
ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/main/installer-amd64/current/images/cdrom/

Also with no success (invalid kernel).

Why is there no xen directory under netboot? Is it not possible to run
an amd64 kernel in a DomU? I had read that the same kernel was needed on
both Dom0 and a DomU for pci pass through to work, and that's how I set
it up successfully on my x86 machine. Is this correct for the amd64
kernel or can I pass a device through with the 686 kernel in the DomU?

I looked into using xen-tools, but it seems you cannot create a DomU in
a physical partition. I suppose I could create an image and dd it over,
but I would hope there is a better way.

Thanks for any feedback,

   Dan