Re: [Xen-users] Windows PV driver live-migration support

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 6:00 PM, James Harper
<james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Is anyone working on live-migration support for Windows PV domains?  I
>> am a developer, and I am evaluating the possibility of improving upon
>> the Windows drivers.
>>
>> I installed a recent copy of the PV drivers (0.10.0.130) from the
>> installation packages pointed at in the wiki
>> (http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenWindowsGplPv) and was not able
>> get a Windows 2003 domain to properly restore after a migration.
> There
>> were numerous popup boxes on the console about not being able to
> remove
>> devices, etc.  I also found some verbiage in
>> win-pvdrivers.hg/doc/TODO.txt (cloned from the repository) which
>> indicated that this support wasn't completed (yet).  I am not quite
> sure
>> what my expectations should be.
>>
>> Is there any documentation for this code or a project-plan which I can
>> consult?  I didn't find anything on the wiki that would help me answer
>> my questions about what is or isn't supported and what is being
> actively
>> worked on (and by whom).
>>
>> Apologies in advance if I'm asking newbie questions that have already
>> been asked and answered.  If you can point me to any useful threads on
>> this subject, please do so.
>>

> That particular problem should be fixed in 0.10.0.134. There may be
> other bugs that stop it working but that one at least should be fixed.

Charlie,

There are reports of recent gplpv drivers supporting live migration on
old xen versions. Some changes in xen 3.4 broke gplpv live
migration/restore functionality. There is a workaround but it has not
been applied.

More info:
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2009-10/msg00978.html
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2009-09/msg01095.html