[Xen-users] Time synchronization on Xen 3.4.1 + linux 2.6.31.4/pv_ops

To: Xen List <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Time synchronization on Xen 3.4.1 + linux 2.6.31.4/pv_ops
From: Bartosz Lis <bartoszl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 17:46:24 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 08:48:58 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I have Xen 3.4.1 and linux 2.6.31.4 with pv_ops running on a dual processor
AMD Opteron 248 as well as on an uniprocessor Intel Celeron testbeds.

I'm trying to synchronize clocks. Synchronization under dom0 with use of ntpd
works fine.

DomU time slowly drifts from dom0 time. As a workaround I have setup ntpd
under domU, too. It works, but synchronization is very rough: system time
drifts, and when the offset measured by ntpd is about 750ms, it sets system
time to network time. How can I synchronize to dom0 clock to have the time run
in a more smooth fashion?

There is no xen subtree in /proc/sys, so I could chceck
/proc/sys/xen/independent_wallclock . Should I do something during system
startup to have that tree or is that tree no more available?

And more generally: is there a place where current logic behind XEN
timekeepeing is documented?

Kind regards,

--
Bartosz Lis @ Institute of Comp. Science, Technical University of Lodz, Poland