[Xen-users] erratic network traffic

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] erratic network traffic
From: Marcel van Dorp <M.vanDorp@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:57:26 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:58:16 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi all,

Don't know if this is Xen or OS related, but I don't seem to have this
same effect with VMware.

I have a HP Proliant DL360G5 with an extra NIC:

lspci -v |grep Ethernet -A 1
0b:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82572EI Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (Copper) (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company HP 110T PCIe Gigabit Server
Adapter

It uses the e1000e adapter:
$> ethtool -i eth0
driver: e1000e
version: 0.3.3.3-k2
firmware-version: 5.11-10
bus-info: 0000:0b:00.0

All on Debian lenny, with xenified packages from the distribution
(Xen-3.2-1, kernel 2.6.26-2-xen-amd64.

I configured an IP-address (disabled the bridge for testing)  and I do
have a connection.

All seems to work fine, but suddenly, the network connection freezes.....

This takes 10-60 seconds, and then everything is working again. The
'freeze'-length varies, the time between freezes varies too. I do not
see anything in the Cisco switch (no errors on the interface, no link
state changes), and I also do not see anything in de logs on Dom0. No
hints in dmesg, or in syslog or in kern.log or in debug.log.

I tried with VLANs, with the bridge, without the bridge, etcetera.
I tried with different settings of the card (using ethtool, wol on/off,
pause settings etcetera).
I tried with acpi disabled on the kernel line in grub.

Whatever I do, the symptoms stay the same. With vmware ESXi all seems to
work as expected (both XEN and ESXi are live USB sticks).

Any ideas?

Marcel

- --
ing. Marcel van Dorp (CCDP, CCNP, CCSP)
WiWo Support                                 http://www.wiwo.nl
Postbus 1098                                 tel. 071-523 77 91
2340 BB Oegstgeest                           gsm  0653-50 77 76