Re: [Xen-users] config.sxp pain - auto start?

Cool post James, glad I'm not the only one.

Eagerly awaiting feedback.

- Brian

On Oct 9, 2009, at 12:22 PM, James Pifer wrote:

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 11:37 -0700, Brian Krusic wrote:
Hi all,

In the older format using Xen 3.0.3 (domains created via xm), I simply
created a sym link from /etc/xen/domU config file to /etc/xen/auto.

I am now using virt-install (Xen 3.4.1) which creates the domU config
in /var/lib/xend/domains/UUID_#_of_domU/config.sxp.

So I sym link this to a file in /etc/xen/auto/hostname_of_domU and
noticed that no auto starting of the domU happens.

I've looked in both my Xen books and only find that /etc/xen/auto is
the place to auto start domUs.

Any ideas on how to auto start gracefully while not writing a script
in /etc/rc3.d every time a new domU comes on line?

And why are xm create and virt-install so diff in how they approach
domU configs?  This is confusing.

- Brian

I've read through this thread. Is there a consensus here? When I first
started on xen it used the files in /etc/xen/vm for configs, and to
autostart on boot you would put a softlink under /etc/xen/auto.

With newer versions (I'm on 3.2.x) I'm using xenstore, but I don't like
the process.

1) I create a new domU with virt-manager
2) I then shutdown the domU
3) save a conf of the domU: xm list -l  [domU name] > [domU name].conf
4) edit this conf file for the start and stop lines
5) remove the domU from virt-manager
6) reinstall it with: xm new -F [domU name].conf

I really don't like this process at all and it doesn't work 100% of the
time for setting a domU to auto start. Plus, with it set this way I
can't restart xend without hosing the running domUs. I think if I change
the stop to ignore it would help. Drawback is I'd have to manually
shutdown all the domU's before restarting the server.

Right now I have memory issues on two of my servers. I need to reboot
both servers, which affects roughly 20 domU's, both linux pv's and
windows hvm's. I don't know for sure, but it seems that restarting xend
might fix the problem for me.

It was much nicer when it was a simple soft link in auto to the config
in vm. From this thread it sounds like you can still do this? Does that
mean no more virt-manager?

Should I be doing this a different way?

Thanks,
James